Special Religious Education
Special Religious Education (SRE) is taught in public primary and high schools across the Diocese with paid and volunteer workers drawn not only from our parishes and special districts but other denominations as well.
The Diocese ensures that scripture teachers are well trained and appropriately authorised. The Diocese is a member of the Inter Church Commission for Religious Education in Schools (ICCOREIS) which develops, promotes and supports quality religious education in schools.
The Diocese is an Approved Provider of Special Religious Education in NSW. Our volunteer SRE teachers have undertaken authorised initial and ongoing training in child protection and classroom management issues.
The requirements for SRE teachers in Riverina Diocese are:
- have a current Working with Children Check
- be authorised by a priest from the church they attend
- complete both Safe Ministry training every three (3) years
- be observed teaching SRE during the year and receive feedback; and
- use and authorised curriculum (see below)
The review of SRE teachers provides feedback for further training which will be reported as part of our Annual Assurance process.