The Diocese of Riverina was established from parts of the Diocese of Bathurst and the Diocese of Goulburn. Our first Bishop, Bishop Sidney Linton, was consecrated on the 1st, May 1884 and was enthroned the following year in Hay on 18th, March 1885.
With 22 Parishes across a vast area of land, the Riverina Diocese covers approximately 37% of the area of the state of New South Wales. Major towns and Parishes in within the Diocese include Griffith, where the Cathedral of St Alban the Martyr is located, Leeton, Lake Cargelligo and Narrandera, south to Deniliquin and Moama, and as far west as as Broken Hill.
The Riverina Diocese remains close with those Diocese’ that helped establish our Diocese in the beginning. We also pray for our international Companion Diocese of Hokkaido, Nasik and St. Asaph.
Our Diocese is watered by ‘Four Rivers’ – Murray, Murrumbidgee, Darling and Lachlan. These rivers remind us of the river of life that flows from Christ into our Church and human lives. The Four Rivers is also inspiration for our Four Rivers Newsletter and Bookshop.
On the 21st of July 2018, our Diocese farewelled our 10th Bishop, The Right Reverend Rob Gillion. We pray for the Diocese Administrator, The Rev Robert Harris, and pray we are soon blessed with an 11th Bishop to lead us into the future.