The Diocese of Riverina was established from parts of the Diocese of Bathurst and the Diocese of Goulburn. Our first Bishop, Bishop Sidney Linton, was consecrated on the 1st, May 1884 and was enthroned the following year in Hay on 18th, March 1885.
With 21 Parishes across a vast area of land, the Riverina Diocese covers approximately 37% of the area of the state of New South Wales. Major towns and Parishes in within the Diocese include Griffith, where the Cathedral of St Alban the Martyr is located, Leeton, Lake Cargelligo and Narrandera, south to Deniliquin and Moama, and as far west as as Broken Hill.
The Riverina Diocese remains close with those Diocese’ that helped establish our Diocese in the beginning. This can been seen through the Tri-Diocesan, comprised of the Diocese’ of Bathurst, Canberra/Goulburn and Riverina. The Tri-Diocesan sees our Diocese work closely with these Diocese on a number of important areas, including the development of professional standards, vocational discernment, Anglicare and mission. We also pray for our international Companion Diocese of Hokkaido, Nasik and St. Asaph.
Our Diocese is watered by ‘Four Rivers’ – Murray, Murrumbidgee, Darling and Lachlan. These rivers remind us of the river of life that flows from Christ into our Church and human lives. The Four Rivers is also inspiration for our Four Rivers Newsletter and Bookshop.
In August 2014, our Diocese welcomed our 10th Bishop, The Right Reverend Rob Gillion. Bishop Rob joins us all the way from the Diocese of London, bringing with him a new energy and passion for sharing the ministry of God with all people.